Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Powercranks week 3 and beyond

I realize that I haven't been updating my progress with the Powercranks. Guess I shouldn't have promised weekly write-ups. As of today it's been around 6 weeks. Right after my last update on Dec.17th I left for a trip to Germany/Switzerland with about 2 more 2x20min indoor sessions. Before leaving I felt pretty confident using the cranks on early season group rides and I was looking forward taking them out for a spin in January. 
First ride in 2012: I went on group ride with the M2 training group. It was a decent paced group ride and either Christmas took its toll, or I wasn't ready for the pace ... after about 40 miles it HURT! I was trying to paceline with Dan to catch the other that left us at the pit stop, but I couldn't keep the pace. Riding home the last 15+ miles was SO HARD. Every stroke took a lot of mental focus and I was very close to lock the cranks. Of course that didn't happen. With that experience I continued my 2x20min indoor sessions during the week (twice a week)
Second ride 2012: M2 groupride again and I felt that I was mainly suffering from post holiday lack of fitness. This weekend we were up for a ~75miler through Sausalito, Fairfax, Pt.Ryes and back via HWY1. This time I felt great, we did several rounds of pacelining and I was able to go with the boys. Climbing back over Tam on the return hurt, but I was able to hold on. I am still not confident enough to get out of the saddle, especially in a group ride.

Looking ahead: I'll continue to use the cranks indoors twice a week for easy spins and I'll take them on more group rides. Let's see if they help improve ;-)

Here is another movie I found on youtube. Seems like a Swiss company picked up the concept as well and of course we trust the Swiss!


No comments:

Post a Comment